I’ve spent nearly two months trying to overcome the glitchy compatibility issues between Maya 2016’s xGen and Renderman 20. Geometry/polygons would render but the hair systems would not. I tracked down the few people on the vast interwebs who figured it out but none of them could remember. I call BULLSHIT!
Here’s the fix I found for Maya 2016 with Renderman 20 on a late 2010 MacBook Pro (I know, I’m a bit outdated but I’ve grown attached). It looks like the Maya.env (which didn’t exist) was missing a line of code. I also reinstalled Renderman for good measure.
Here we go:
…and create Maya.env (capital M) in both of these places. I’m not sure to where Maya/Renderman looks so I made this file in both. Also, make sure you’re NOT using a rich format text editor. Notepad or Textwrangler work well. Now add this (without linebreak):
Save. Close. Restart Maya.